The development and construction of your new franchise are pivotal steps that precede its grand opening. Without the successful completion of these steps, your franchise would remain an aspiration, rather than becoming a tangible reality. You’ve carried out your due diligence, and now you’re ready to have a brick-and-mortar presence for your franchise.
Development and construction of your franchise might appear daunting, but with the right turnkey solutions, you can achieve a seamless execution. Continue reading to learn more about the role of commercial construction in setting up a new franchise and how turnkey solutions can simplify the process.
Real Estate Transactions
Securing the right real estate is vital for successful franchises. It provides your customers with a physical location to browse and make purchases. Online options might be robust, but your physical store is equally important.
There are three stages to a real estate transaction that you should know about and prepare for:
- Letters of Intent (LOI) – Unless you have an in-depth understanding of real estate, you’ve likely never heard of an LOI. Simply put, this document outlines the general terms and conditions of the agreement to purchase and obtain the property for your franchise’s commercial construction.
- Project Schedule – Keeping construction projects on track is vital, and a well-outlined plan can help ensure timely execution.
- Lease Agreement – A vital step in commercial construction is securing your property with a lease agreement. Reviewing it carefully and consulting a real estate attorney is advisable. This is an area where a turnkey solutions company can help. A turnkey company can provide an attorney.
Once you’ve signed your lease, it’s time to commence the plans generation phase of your franchise project.
- Hire an Architect – It is essential for the architect involved in your commercial construction to understand your franchisor’s requirements. They will be the one to implement those requirements. In addition to working with an architect, you may need to hire a civil engineer, attorney, and/or community board involved in planning and zoning. A turnkey solutions company can handle the entire plans generation process for you, decreasing stress and headaches.
- Receive Franchisor Feedback – During plans generation, you’ll want to involve your franchisor at each step to ensure your designs align with their specifications. Make sure to get their feedback.
Securing your architect’s contract is not enough for construction to begin. Before they start building, you must obtain permission from the jurisdictional agency where you plan to construct.
- Obtain Your Permit – Contact the appropriate agency to obtain the necessary permits for your commercial construction project. They typically include the city, county, and other departments. Your municipality can tell you what permits you need to get.
- Submit for Bids – While you are in the process of getting your permits, the architect will submit your plans for bid. This will involve the total cost. Getting at least three bids is a good idea to ensure you’re getting a reasonable price at market value.
The construction of your new franchise is as crucial as the development. Thankfully, you have a general contractor (GC) to work with.
- Get the GC’s Schedule – Track the progress of your commercial construction and report back to your franchisor on your progress.
- Get Your CO – Your certificate of occupancy (CO) indicates that your property meets all municipal requirements and is safe for occupancy. You can obtain a temporary certificate to get ready to open to the public. However, a temporary certificate will expire, and a CO is permanent.
- Issue A Punchlist – Once you have your CO, you can issue a punch list, ensuring all aspects of your commercial construction contract have been fulfilled. This is the time to catch any mistakes that need to be corrected or missing work that needs to be completed.
Your grand opening marks the successful completion of your franchise’s commercial construction and its readiness to welcome the public. This should be a special event with a ribbon-cutting ceremony where you officially welcome everyone to your business.
SCG West Is Your Turnkey Solution
As outlined above, the commercial construction of your franchise involves numerous steps. The good news is that SCGWest can help. We manage all aspects of the construction process, ensuring you remain informed while we handle the stress. You’ll participate in weekly conference calls, status reports, task items, document collection, and detailed close-out packets.
At SCGWest, we work in milestones and phases, providing flexibility and peace of mind during your project. We are proud to offer turnkey solutions for franchise owners. Contact us if you have questions or wish to work with us. We’re excited to partner with you in your franchise journey!